Swiss permits

In Switzerland, the law on Foreigners and Integration (LEI) regulates the different types of permits and visas. An “autorisation de courte durée ou de séjour” (L or B permit) is mandatory for any foreigner planning to work in Switzerland (art. 11 al. 1 LEI).

Despite the fact that Switzerland is not a member of the EU, the same conditions apply to EU/EFTA citizens wishing to live and work on Swiss territory. Switzerland has signed the freedom of movement agreement as part of the bilateral accord with the EU, allowing EU-27/EFTA citizens to enter, reside and work in the country.

For non-EU citizens, yearly quotas apply for B and L permits. It is the employer who requests a work permit for the non-EU worker and who must demonstrate that no Swiss or European worker matched the criteria for the position. Only skilled migrants can be hired from the non-EU job market.

Obtaining a work permit in Switzerland relies on different factors: whether the applicant is a EU-27/EFTA citizen or not, holds a work contract, the number of permits available for the year (quotas) and the skills and expertise held by the applicant.

We offer immigration services and handle your permit application on your behalf, contact us !


Click here

Tell Us About Your Case

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly

This website aims to provide general information regarding Swiss law and should not be regarded as a legal opinion. For more specific advice, do not hesitate to contact us.