Swiss permits

In Switzerland, the law on Foreigners and Integration (LEI) regulates the different types of permits and visas. A “L” or “B” permit is mandatory for any foreigner planning to live and work in Switzerland (art. 11 al. 1 LEI).

Despite the fact that Switzerland is not a member of the EU, the same conditions apply to EU/EFTA citizens wishing to live and work on Swiss territory. Switzerland has signed the freedom of movement agreement as part of the bilateral agreement with the EU, allowing EU-27/EFTA citizens to enter, reside and work in the country.

Obtaining a work permit in Switzerland relies on different factors: whether (1) the applicant is an EU-27/EFTA citizen, (2) holds a work contract, (3) number of permits available per canton (annual quotas),  and (4) the level of skills and expertise held by the applicant. Only skilled workers can be hired from the non-EU job market, preferably in fields recognised being in shortage of specialists.

Residency permits can also be obtained for foreigners over 55 planning to retire in Switzerland, under specific conditions.

Essential Guide to Swiss Immigration

Navigate the Swiss immigration system without any issues affecting you and your family. Find key answers about permit procedures, work authorizations and naturalization pathways here. Contact our team today for expert guidance and support.

People advised
Industry experience

swiss Lawyers


immigration specialists

What you need to know:

Browse our free content topics below.  Some answers to most of the important and frequently asked questions can be found here. 

We offer immigration services and handle your permit application on your behalf, contact us !

Apply for a B Permit

Settling in Switzerland

Apply for a L Permit

Short-term authorization to work or reside in Switzerland

Apply for a G Permit

Cross-border workers. Apply online through DeliverPermit if you are an EU-27 citizen

Apply for a C Permit

Settling in Switzerland on a permanent basis

How can we help you right now?

We provide immigration services and manage your permit application for you. Get in touch with us today!

The B permit, also known as “autorisation de séjour,” is granted to skilled non-EU workers, EU-27/EFTA workers or residents, individuals seeking family reunification, and retirees over 55 under specific provisions outlined in art. 33 al. 2 LEI.

Apply for a B Permit

The G permit, also known as “permis frontalier,” permits residents of neighboring countries like France, Germany, or Italy to work in Switzerland under specific conditions outlined in art. 35 LEI. It allows cross-border workers to apply online and commence work immediately.

Apply for a G Permit

Swiss citizenship can be attained through birth, adoption, marriage, or via application following 10 years of residency in Switzerland. Children born overseas to a Swiss parent automatically hold citizenship until 25, yet retaining it requires formal declaration. Becoming Swiss involves genuine integration into Swiss society and a commitment to its political and social life.

Swiss naturalization

For longer stays in Switzerland, one can apply for a long-term D visa, which can be obtained for purposes like marriage, family reunification, or work permit approval, allowing entry and lawful work until the permit is finalized.

Read more

Work permit applications in Switzerland, how to?

ALEXA answers the following questions:

more free content about Swiss Permits

Browse our free content topics below.  Some answers to most of the important and frequently asked questions can be found here. 

Book a consultation

Book your legal consultation online with English-speaking lawyers! We are located within the law firm OA Legal on the 5th floor at 1 place de Longemalle, 1204 Geneva. Our consultation can be made on Zoom or in our Office for a flat fee of CHF 300.-..