Short-term authorization to work or reside in Switzerland

The L permit can be granted for temporary employment, for an internship after academic studies or to follow medical treatment. The short-term L permit is often granted first to non-EU skilled workers or for an independant activity.

The application process


The application process follows the same rules as the B permit for non-EU citizens. The short-term L permit is also subject to yearly quotas, the years spent under a L permit do not count when applying for a C permit “anticipé” (art. 34 al. 4 LEI).

For non-EU citizens, it is the employer who must lodge the application on behalf of the applicant. A contract stipulating the length of the work to be undertaken and signed by the two parties must be joined.

The employer must also submit a letter of motivation, a description of the company and his employees work permit status and citizenship.


The employer should also justify why he is hiring this particular non-European worker on a short-term basis.

The process can take three to four months before receiving a decision from the authorities, the SEM in Bern delivers the final decision to the employer or the legal representative.

We offer immigration services and handle your permit application on your behalf, contact us !


Click here

Tell Us About Your Case

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly

This website aims to provide general information regarding Swiss law and should not be regarded as a legal opinion. For more specific advice, do not hesitate to contact us.